You do not need a high level of general knowledge to achieve a successful result in your IELTS speaking test. If you can communicate your ideas (or lack of ideas) fluently and coherently, you will do well.
However, it will help you to practise talking at length about a variety of topics. Here are some possible questions that you can practise.
Food and drink
- What types of food are popular in your country?
- Have eating habits changed in your country in recent years?
- How popular is fast food in your country?
- Do you think eating habits will change in the future? How?
- How can we encourage people to eat more healthily?
- How popular is watching television in your country?
- What types of television programme are popular in your country?
- Why do you think people like watching television?
- What are the dangers of watching television?
- Is watching TV a good way of forgetting about work or study?
- What types of sports are popular in your country?
- What are the advantages of doing sports?
- Can sports be dangerous? How?
- What types of sports do you think are better, team sports or individual sports?
- Does technology help workers, or does it make their lives more difficult?
- What is the importance of computers nowadays?
- What are some of the main uses of technology for communication?
- Do you agree that some people use technology for communication too much?
- What are the differences between the attitudes of older and younger people to technology for communication?
- Do you think that the advance of technology has improved standards of education in schools?
- Do you think that the rate of technological expansion will slow down in the years to come?
- What costs are involved when you are ill in your country?
- Do you think people are too quick to take time off work when they’re ill?
- Do people pay more attention to their health these days?
- How could the government persuade people to do more exercise?
- Is pollution a problem in your country?
- What are some of the causes of pollution?
- What can people or governments do to minimize pollution?
- Do you think problems with pollution will improve in the future?
- Do you enjoy shopping?
- Is shopping a popular activity in your country?
- How have shopping habits changed in recent years?
- In what ways you think advertising affects the way people shop?
- What are the benefits of travelling?
- Do people travel much in your country? Which destinations are popular?
- Has the travel industry changed in your country in recent years?
- Which countries would you like to visit in the future? Why?
- What types of leisure activities are popular in your country?
- What types of leisure activities are not popular in your country? Why?
- How have leisure activities in your country changed in recent years?
- How important is it to have leisure time?
- Should co-workers also spend their leisure time together?