I received an email from Anish in India. Anish wants to know how to start talking about a topic (in IELTS Speaking Test Part 2). In this post, I’m going to give you a few tips.
In Part 2 of the IELTS Speaking test, the examiner will give you a card with a topic and ask you to talk about the topic for 1-2 minutes. Here’s an example:
Now there are different ways you can start talking.
Use a fixed expression
You can use going to + verb (we use going to + infinitive to talk about something that you have decided to do). For example:
- I’m going to describe (a game I often play with my friends).
- I’m going to talk about …
- I’m going to tell you about …
Just start talking naturally
You don’t need to remember a fixed expression. You can just start talking in a natural way, as if a friend has asked you the same question. For example:
- Actually, I haven’t played indoor games for ages. (see this sample answer)
- Well, I really enjoy playing …
- Well, I don’t play games very often, but one game I play from time to time is ….
- I used to play indoor games in my childhood. One that I really really enjoyed was …