A student recently asked me to explain the usage of the verb spend. Specifically, she asked:
Which preposition should I use with spend? in? on?
What structures do I use after spend time/money?
So, in this post I’m going to explain.
We usually use an object (time or money) with the verb spend. These two main structures are possible:
spend time/money on something/someone
spend time/money doing something
- He spends a lot of time on his homework.
- Julia has a very rich husband. He spends a lot of money on her.
- I spent $20 on his birthday present.
- She spent a year living in Singapore.
- I spent the weekend relaxing at home.
- The cat spends most of her time sleeping.
thanx to make me understand preposition with spend